Monday, December 27, 2010

It Begins....

Well, it's the 27th of December and my Body Odyssey begins. One year of discipline and toil to see what I can get out of my almost thirty-seven year old body.

Ten years of abuse and neglect has left me around 30kg heavier and I will soon see how much slower. My football days of only 5 years ago seem a faint memory.

What is the point of this blog? Well it's to document my victories and struggles over the coming year. It's probably more for my own benefit rather than any followers as I think it will be a good tool to release some of my frustrations and emotions at what will surely be a difficult experience at times.

I am not setting any massive goals but I am promising myself that I will be the best I can be in one years time as I strut confidently into the MCG for next years Boxing Day test.

Why have I chosen that date? Well it's as good as any and New Years resolutions are so cliche. I have been wanting to do this for a long time so it's now or never.

And so it will be that I battle my demons and weaknesses as I attempt to beat my alcohol addiction that has become a real thing in my life.

It wasn't until I saw a dietitian and confessed my alcohol consumption that I really saw how much it was to someone who didn't drink. The look on his face told me more than I wanted to know. It made me realise I had been kidding myself for too long. I had made excuses to why I needed wine or beer. The truth is there are many reasons to drink, but only one to not. I don't want to anymore but it's not going to be that easy, I know.

I don't so much have a physical addiction, I don't think. I have never suffered any physical symptoms when I have given it a break but the mental demons are more powerful for me. I will get angry, depressed and frustrated but I will deal with it. With humour and hard work.

As for the body and weight issues I have always been good at physical training so once the drinking is under control I should be able to hit the gym, pool and track with gusto...should.

So join me if you wish and witness the transformation of one man for one year.

2 comments:

  1. Blog looks great Nospmas.
    Can't wait to see how you go, i'll be watching.
    All the best
    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate. I don't pretend it's going to be easy but it's going to be interesting.

    Appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete